Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Welcoming Fall & Some Pop-Up Shops


There's really nothing quite like topping off a beautiful Fall evening with a pumpkin chai tea in hand while breathing in the fresh cool air and listening to trees whistling in the wind, is there? Autumn is finally here, friends, and it's all so terribly relaxing.

Fall is my absolute favorite season of all, and this time even more lovely with the arrival of a very special baby and a business that has taken off fairly steady. As Mr. Fitzgerald astutely puts it, "life itself starts all over again when it gets crisp in the Fall." With that said, we still have lots of exciting progress that will be happening with Kan Kan in the coming months and I'm really excited to share this update with you all.

My goal for Kan Kan has never been to only have an online store selling artisan made goods. I've always felt that these pieces truly needed to be held in person to really see the incredible craft, detail, and weight that these artist have taken so much time into creating. Also, I've always dreamed of having a place that brought creatives together all under one roof. Which leads me to explain where the name Kan Kan comes from. Queue the rambling.... 

Kan Kan came from the popular Kurt Vonnegut book, Cat's Cradle which details a religion known as Bokononism. In the religion, there are various terms that it encompasses, such as the word kan-kan. Kan-kan meant "An object or item that brings a person into their karass (karass meaning, "A group of people linked in a cosmically significant manner"). Now, I'm going to throw my hands up and admit, I really just liked how Kan Kan sounded and I am hardly a Kurt Vonnegut fan. Actually, I really didn't even like Cat's Cradle compared to his other stories. But I did like the meaning of kan-kan—it sounded fantastic and fit well with how I defined my ideal store.

Now that I've got my confession out of the way, let's get back to my update...

With Kan Kan, we would be thrilled to have a physical home in Atlanta but it would be a huge disappointment if we didn't have the proper location with the best foot traffic. That's why we are looking into various events and opportunities around the Atlanta area for a Pop-up Shop. Hopefully, this will let us see where Kan Kan will be a great fit! There are so many excellent reasons to start with a Pop-up Shop for your business, which I'll get into in another post, but now I'll leave you here with that little update for the day.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I'd like to always update you on our journey with Kan Kan in hopes that it will inspire others. I may not know what I'm doing most of the time, but if I can share a little bit of our challenges with you, then hopefully we'll all figure it out in time!

If you know of any future events and want to see Kan Kan live in action, please send us an email (hello@shopkankan.com)! You may spot a Kan Kan Pop-Up in the coming months!

No comments:

Post a Comment